- A self-storage access control system is a device that allows unit owners to remotely control access to property entrances such as gates and doors.
- To find the best access control system for your property, you’ll need to consider use cases such as front gate access, visitor management, and storage unit access.
- Advantages of access control for self-storage include security, convenience, and remote access.
- The best self-storage access control system is ButterflyMX.
The self-storage industry is continually expanding. As a result, facility owners face the unique challenge of implementing security measures while providing convenient access to their tenants. Self-storage intercom systems are an effective solution that can be pivotal in striking this delicate balance.
Furthermore, choosing the right self-storage access control system can positively impact customer experience and the reputation of your business. Below, we go over the ins and outs of self-storage access and how to choose a system!
In this post, discover:
- What is an access control system for self-storage?
- How do I choose the right access control system?
- What are the advantages of self-storage access control?
- What is the best self-storage access control system?
What is an access control system for self-storage?
A self-storage access control system is a device that allows unit owners to remotely control access to property entrances such as gates and doors. Typically, high-tech access control systems empower users to use their smartphones as a touchless tech option for entry. However, many other elements make up a cohesive access control system.
For instance, you’ll likely see these common features:
- Keypads and card readers. For some, keeping a PIN or keycard on their person feels more reliable. A gated access system with a keypad or card reader affords efficiency and security.
- Vehicle readers. To avoid PIN issues, vehicle readers can be installed at facility gates to help with traffic flow. These readers will open the gate as the guest drives up and close it immediately.
- Video intercoms. Video intercoms are perfect solutions for entrance permissions. They make it simple for visitors to request access via a two-way call. And property managers no longer need to be on the premises to monitor who is coming and going.
How do I choose the right access control system?
To find the best access control system for your property, you’ll need to consider factors such as security needs and use cases.
Use cases for an access control system for self-storage facilities:
- Front gate access. Just about all public storage facilities have some form of gated entry system. Self-storage gate access systems such as a vehicle reader or keypad will make entrance easier for customers and staff.
- Visitor management. Granting temporary access to visitors such as service providers is simple with an access control system. For example, you can either grant access via the video intercom system or provide them with a temporary PIN.
- Storage unit access. Individual buildings and units usually require a physical key or key fob. With a keypad access control system, you can simplify the process and eliminate the need for physical credentials. And if your customers prefer physical credentials, the best keypads also accept physical credentials like key cards and fobs.
What are the advantages of self-storage access control?
Here are the top three benefits of self-storage access control:
Access control as a form of physical security deters intruders from breaking into your self-storage facility. Moreover, the best ACS also creates a digital trail of customers in its database for property managers to access.
For example, state-of-the-art access control features a photo audit trail that takes time- and date-stamped photos of entry events.
This way, managers and staff can quickly view the time-stamped self-storage security logs to verify who has entered the premises, at what time, and for how long.
With an access control system for public storage, customers can easily enter your facility, and managers can control property access without a hassle.
Investing in an intercom at your self-storage property:
- Eliminates the struggle of tracking physical keys.
- Empowers customers and staff to control property access via a smartphone app.
- Makes it easier for customers and staff to grant access to service workers and guests.
- Gives managers and owners more control over customer access permissions.
3. Remote access
Property managers can easily monitor customers from anywhere worldwide using an access control member dashboard.
What’s more, they can also create new profiles, add or delete permissions, and grant temporary PINs without being onsite!
Discover how to use gated entry access control systems with your smartphone:
What is the best self-storage access control system?
The best self-storage access control system is ButterflyMX.
ButterflyMX’s access control system simplifies access and adds convenience to everyday operations. In fact, with ButterflyMX, you can easily streamline access and reduce frustration with video calling and smartphone app functions.
ButterflyMX products perfect for self-storage facilities include:
Vehicle access control
With the ButterflyMX vehicle access control system, you can streamline gated vehicle access.
With the vehicle access control system, entry to your self-storage facility is simplified into two steps:
- First, each customer places a windshield tag on their vehicle.
- Second, they’re automatically granted access each time they approach the gate.
The ButterflyMX video intercom system is one of the most popular video intercoms on the market. With this video intercom for self-storage, you can remotely view a date- and time-stamped photo audit of entry events from the dashboard. Moreover, staff and customers can easily provide virtual keys to trusted guests.
What’s more, the ButterflyMX video intercom is perfect for retrofitting because it doesn’t require in-unit hardware or wiring. This saves both time and money.
Keypads and card readers
ButterflyMX keypads and card/fob readers are perfect for secondary entrances to storage buildings or individual storage units.
Customers using keypads simply create their own PIN or use the ButterflyMX app to access the locked area. So, if your customers prefer key fobs, you can opt to install ButterflyMX mullion or single-gang readers at entry points.