Note: we’ve changed the ButterflyMX mobile app since this video was created. While the video is similar, please read the post below to learn how to create and use ButterflyMX virtual keys as a resident or tenant until we update the video.
- Send friends, family, and guests virtual keys for managed access that you can revoke at any time.
- You must have a ButterflyMX account
- You must have our mobile app on iOS or Android
- Your property owner or managers must enable virtual keys for your use. If virtual keys are unavailable in your mobile app, please talk to your property owner or manager about turning them on. We cannot turn them on.
How to issue and use virtual keys:
- Open the ButterflyMX mobile app
- Press the “Create a Virtual Key”
- Name your virtual key
- Select days of the week it will work
- Select hours of the day it will work
- Choose an expiration date
- Click the “Create Key” button
- Share your virtual key via text message or email
- Your guest receives the virtual key via a text message or email
- Your virtual key is received as a QR code with instructions
- To use the virtual key, a visitor clicks “Virtual Key” on the ButterflyMX intercom
- The visitor lines up the virtual key (QR Code) with the intercom
Step 1: Open the ButterflyMX mobile app
Launch the ButterflyMX mobile app on your smartphone. Then, click on the “Virtual Keys” icon at the bottom of the page.
Step 2: Press the “Create a Virtual Key” button
Hit “Create a Virtual Key”.
Step 3: Name your virtual key
Next, you’re going to name your virtual key.
For example, if you want to give a virtual key to your dog walker, you can name it “dog walker”.
Step 4: Select days of the week it will work
Then, you’ll need to determine the days of the week/times that your key will work. You can choose to create a virtual key with custom dimensions, recurring access, business hours, full-day use, or just a one-time key.
For the dog walker example, if you would like to have the dog walker come on Tuesdays and Thursdays, you will hit “Recurring Access”, and then select Tuesday and Thursday.
Step 5: Select hours of the day it will work
Next, select the times of day your key will work. If your dog walker comes between 12:20 and 3:20, choose that time frame.
Step 6: Choose an expiration date
Lastly, you’ll need to determine when the key expires (you can adjust any of these settings at any time within the mobile app).
Step 7: Click the “Create Key” button
Click the “Create Key” button. Once the key is created, hit “Share Key Now”.
Step 8: Share your virtual key via text message or email
Enter the phone number or email address of the contact you’d like to send the key to and then hit “send”.
Step 9: Your guest receives the virtual key via a text message or email
Your guest receives the virtual key via a text message or email.
This is what they will receive:
Step 10: Your virtual key is received as a QR code with instructions
Your recipient will receive some instructions about the key and the link to the key itself. When they click on the link, they’ll see more details about the key, including the ability to save it in their Apple Wallet and the QR code.
Step 11: To use the virtual key, a visitor clicks “Virtual Key” on the ButterflyMX intercom
Once your guest is at the door, they’ll click the ‘Virtual Key’ button on the video intercom.
Pro tip: you don’t have to click the ‘Virtual Key’ button on the intercom. You can just show your virtual key to the intercom, and if it’s valid, the door will open.
Step 12: The visitor lines up the virtual key (QR Code) with the intercom
They will then see a prompt to line up the virtual key on their smartphone with the smart video intercom as shown below.
Once lined up correctly, they’ll hear a chime and see a notification that the door is open. For security purposes, our video intercom will take a time- and date-stamped photo of the person who used the virtual key, which will be stored for review in your mobile app for 365 days.