- To effectively secure a daycare, utilize security hardware, software, and procedures for a comprehensive security solution.
- Daycare keyless entry systems work by using a base station, door release, and credential.
- Keyless door entry systems benefit in many ways, but some include monitoring access, acting as a visitor management solution, and integrating with other security products.
- When considering a keyless entry system for daycares, keep in mind installation requirements, costs, ease of use, credentials, integrations, and features.
- The best daycare keyless entry system is ButterflyMX.
It’s paramount that childcare facilities maintain a protective environment for children that their families can trust. Fortunately, technology, such as daycare keyless entry systems, daycare intercom system, and access control, help achieve a safe and secure property.
With that said, this guide will outline the best way to secure a daycare. Additionally, you’ll discover what keyless entry systems are, how they work, and the benefits of installing an access control system for your daycare. Most importantly, you can identify the features to look for when choosing a system and what the best system is on the market.
This guide covers:
- What is the best way to secure a daycare?
- What is a daycare keyless entry system?
- How do keyless door entry systems work?
- Benefits of keyless entry systems for childcare facilities
- Considerations for keyless door entry systems
- Best daycare keyless entry system
What is the best way to secure a daycare?
There are multiple ways to secure a daycare, but the best method is by using a holistic approach comprised of security hardware, software, and practices. Thus, daycares can better prevent and negate potential security risks as they arise.
More specifically, childcare facilities may use any of the following security measures:
- Access control
- Front desk stations
- Alarm systems
- Surveillance cameras
- Smart locks
- Security guards
- Natural disaster procedures
- Biometric scanners
- Panic buttons
- Emergency action plans
- Visitor management systems
- Vehicle readers
- Video intercoms
- Fencing or gates
Should daycare doors be locked?
While there is no childcare legislation in the United States regarding how daycare doors should be secured, it’s recommended to lock doors.
Above all, external doors — especially the daycare front entrance — are important to lock. But why? Because locked doors reduce the chances of intruders entering — and children exiting — the facility. Rather than using traditional keys to secure these doors, main entrances benefit from intercom systems. This way, visitors and parents can request access, which must be granted by a staff member.
As for internal doors, it depends on the type of room. For instance, maintenance closets and kitchen areas should remain secured and inaccessible to children. With that in mind, a keypad integrated with your access control system is a reliable solution as it allows staff to access areas using a phone, PIN code, or key card easily.
What equipment is needed for a daycare center?
Daycare centers require a wide range of equipment and supplies to operate effectively, from playpens and changing tables to fire alarms and check-in systems.
Generally, you can expect daycare equipment related to the following:
- Safety features
- Play materials
- Cleaning supplies
- Security systems
- Health supplies
What is a daycare keyless entry system?
A daycare keyless entry system is a door security device that accepts a biometric, PIN code, or mobile phone for access.
By eliminating physical keys, daycares and other childcare facilities lower potential security risks. For instance, metal keys can be copied, stolen, or lost. If stolen, an intruder can access the daycare with ease. Not to mention, key cards and fobs, while more modern, are as easily lost as metal keys.
So, most daycare keyless entry systems are cloud-based. This means facilities can manage their system from a mobile app or online dashboard. Within the OS, daycare managers may view entry logs, edit access permissions, and integrate their system with third-party hardware and software.
How do keyless door entry systems work?
Keyless door entry systems utilize three major components: base station, credential, and door release.
The three major components operate as follows:
- Base station. Located at the entryway, the base station takes many forms, but the most common are intercoms. These devices are equipped with a microphone, buttons, and, in the most robust intercoms, a camera. The base station is what reads the credentials and determines whether to grant access.
- Credential. When wanting to access the daycare, a user will present their credential to the base station. Credentials can be in the form of a PIN code, mobile phone, or even a biometric scan, such as a fingerprint. Upon receiving the credential’s data, the base station will determine if access is authorized.
- Door release. When the base station verifies the credentials, it sends a signal to the door release so the user may enter.
Watch how ButterflyMX works:
Benefits of keyless entry systems for childcare facilities
As technology advances, keyless entry systems become the first choice for securing childcare facilities. After all, daycare door lock systems provide many benefits for parents, staff, and, most importantly, children.
Keyless entry systems for daycares offer the following benefits:
- Eliminates physical credentials. Prevent lost, stolen, or copied physical keys from putting your daycare at risk of an intruder. Keyless door entry systems reduce security risks by cutting out physical credentials altogether. Further, with no keys at your daycare facility, the risk of children taking and harming themselves with keys is eliminated! In turn, staff and families can have peace of mind.
- Integrates with third-party hardware and software. Gather all of your security systems in one place. Most keyless entry systems are designed to integrate with third-party products, allowing you to create a cohesive daycare security system.
- Manage the system remotely. Take control of your entry system from anywhere with a cloud-based solution. That way, you can grant access, edit user credentials, review entry logs, and more from anywhere.
- Manage visitor access. Prevent visitors from entering the daycare without staff approval. The best daycare keyless entry systems feature cameras, allowing staff members to verify the identity of the visitor before letting them inside.
- Access is monitored. Review past visitor and user entries using the system’s audit log. If you select a daycare entry system with a camera, the audit log may feature time- and date-stamped photos of every entry. Paired with security camera integrations, you can consistently monitor access to the daycare.
Considerations for keyless door entry systems
Selecting a keyless door entry system for your daycare should not be swift. Rather, childcare facilities should closely inspect and research a wide range of door entry solutions. Doing so will reveal how many options are available.
So, here is everything you should consider when selecting a keyless door entry system:
- Ease of use. As with all other technology, keyless door entry systems should be user-friendly. So, to reduce inconvenience and confusion, look for a system with an intuitive interface.
- Installation requirements. The process of installing a keyless entry system for daycare facilities depends on the system. However, some will require extensive wiring, while others are wireless. For the best experience, choose a wireless system — installation is simple, and they last longer than their wired counterparts on average.
- Costs. Aside from the cost of the hardware, keep in mind additional costs: installation, maintenance, and ongoing fees.
- Credentials. Daycare keyless entry systems can use a wide variety of credentials, but it’s up to your facility to choose which option is best. If you’re unsure of which credential is best for your daycare, consider a system that supports multiple. That way, your system can meet the flexibilities of your childcare facility.
- Features. While almost all systems will provide you with the basic solution you need, not all will enhance the experience with features. Daycare providers should consider features such as a built-in camera, entry history, and a robust online dashboard.
- Integration capabilities. Ensure the system you choose is capable of integrating with your other security products for unified security efforts.
Best daycare keyless entry system
The best daycare keyless entry system is the ButterflyMX video intercom.
ButterflyMX is a cloud-based access control company with the video intercom acting as the flagship product. Established in 2014, ButterflyMX has been installed in more than 10,000 buildings with more than one million active daily users.
With the ButterflyMX video intercom, daycares and childcare facilities can secure their main entryways, only allowing authorized users access. Whenever a parent or service worker would like to enter the daycare, they can request access using the intercom.
Then, the intercom will call the daycare’s front desk, where a staff member can have a two-way video call with the guest. After verifying the guest’s identity, the staff member may grant them access remotely. Once granted access, the video intercom takes a time- and date-stamped photo of the entry. Alternatively, you can download the ButterflyMX front desk station software, which doesn’t require any additional hardware. You can further communicate with visitors, grant remote entry, and stream live video of all entrances without having to hire additional front desk staff.
Of course, the ButterflyMX video intercom is packed with many features that only enhance the security and user experience at childcare facilities.
ButterflyMX video intercom features include:
- Remote management
- IP65 weatherproofing
- Virtual keys
- Delivery PINs
- Unique PIN codes
- Built-in camera
- Two-way video calling
- Audit log
- Mobile app
- Online dashboard
- Third-party hardware integrations
- Property management integrations
- Compatible with all ButterflyMX products
- Multiple credentials supported