- The best alternative to a VoIP telephone entry system is the ButterflyMX video intercom system.
- RingCentral MVP, Vonage, and Intermedia Unite are the best VoIP intercom systems.
- Limitations of VoIP include limited access control, fewer mobile app features, and reduced security.
When managing a property with multiple units, figuring out the best way to handle access and entry requests can get tricky. Moreover, because of this requirement, many property managers opt for technology such as intercoms and other telephone entry-based systems like VoIP, a subcategory of IP intercoms.
Below, we give you a list of the top VoIP intercom systems. Then, we tell you the best way to manage access to your property without the limitations of an old-school VoIP system!
In this post, discover:
- Alternative to VoIP telephone entry systems
- Top 3 VoIP intercom systems and companies
- What is a VoIP intercom?
- Limitations of VoIP
- VoIP FAQ
Alternative to VoIP telephone entry systems
The best alternative to a VoIP telephone entry system is the ButterflyMX video intercom system. As such, ButterflyMX utilizes wireless connectivity to provide a state-of-the-art access experience for commercial buildings and multifamily residences.
Advantages of ButterflyMX video intercoms include:
- Two-way audio/video communication with visitors and tenants.
- A highly-rated mobile app that allows users to view visitors and grant access from anywhere.
- Swipe-to-open button on the app that eliminates the need for PINs and keyfobs.
- Remote monitoring and visitor management for property owners and managers.
- Wireless installation and smart intercom retrofit capabilities.
- A wide-angle camera that catches a 156-degree view.
- Weather and tamper-resistant.
More ButterflyMX products for your building:
- Front desk station. Front desk station is a cloud-based software installed on any laptop or computer. Furthermore, staff members no longer have to be on the property to manage access! For instance, they can also log visitors, speak to visitors and guests, and verify guest credentials.
- Vehicle access control. Next, the vehicle access control system streamlines gated vehicle entrances. For instance, each member places a windshield tag on their vehicle and is granted access each time the driver approaches the gate.
- Keypads and readers. Lastly, property managers and tenants can use the ButterflyMX smartphone app at any reader to request access to doors or gates. ButterflyMX keypads and readers are also perfect for amenity spaces, office spaces, and more without needing keys or key fobs.
Top 3 VoIP intercom systems and companies
Here are the top three VoIP intercom systems:
1. RingCentral MVP
RingCentral MVP — “messaging, video, and phone” — features AI-powered voicemail transcription and analysis.
Features of RingCentral MVP:
- Business SMS for quick communication.
- Audit trails for enhanced security.
- Directory that makes it easy to contact tenants.
- Desktop app that empowers you to oversee your entire property from one place.
Pros of RingCentral MVP:
- Collaboration capabilities
- App add-ons
- Automatic call-back
- Toll-free support
Cons of RingCentral MVP:
- Limited customization
- No mobile access options
Next, Vonage is designed for both residential and commercial markets. Further, you can use third-party integrations such as Salesforce.
Features of Vonage:
- Unlimited calling and texting for guaranteed easy communication.
- Call recording to keep records and verify access events.
- Three-way calling for smooth access — no matter what.
- Voicemail to text transcriptions to boost accessibility.
Pros of Vonage:
- AI receptionist
- Admin features
- User-friendly UI
Cons of Vonage:
- Difficult contact importer
- Extra costs for add-ons
- No mobile access options
3. Intermedia Unite
Intermedia Unite systems are the top choice for commercial VoIP and customer communications. Additionally, it’s one of the most user-friendly VoIP offerings.
Features of Intermedia Unite:
- Detailed call analytics to help track call data.
- Chat search that makes it easy to see communication histories.
- Video conferencing for improved accessibility and enhanced security.
- File backup to protect data.
Pros of Intermedia Unite:
- Compatible with Chrome
- Voicemail to email capabilities
- SIP support
Cons of Intermedia Unite:
- Fewer call monitoring options
- Limited web app support
- No mobile access options
Discover these five technology trends:
What is a VoIP intercom?
A VoIP (video over Internet Protocol) intercom is a device that enables users to send and receive audio and video messages to each other using an internet connection. Moreover, this offers a degree of flexibility as opposed to using wired in-unit intercoms.
Additionally, most VoIP intercom systems are found in schools, offices, and industrial industry buildings.
How does VoIP work?
VoIP converts voices into a digital signal, which is sent to the receiver via the Internet. Furthermore, VoIP empowers users to make calls from computers, VoIP phones, or phones connected to VoIP adapters.
Limitations of VoIP
VoIP (voice over internet protocol) systems are most useful for in-building communication — such as industrial VoIP intercom paging and interoffice calls. However, it has quite a few drawbacks regarding residential buildings and visitor management protocols.
Limitations of using a VoIP intercom system include:
- Limited access control capabilities. With old-school systems like VoIP intercoms, granting access to visitors is limited. Moreover, remote access management is impossible and can inhibit movement around your building.
- Fewer mobile app features. Most VoIP software is not mobile app compatible. As such, this limits how the system can be used, especially from the outside in. Furthermore, users are limited to unit-to-unit intercom use instead of remote communication, like most modern solutions.
- Reduced security. With outdated VoIP intercoms, there’s less security management. For instance, with more modern systems, you can monitor camera systems and communicate with visitors via two-way video calling. However, with VoIP systems, you usually only have the voice-over option.
Here are the answers to your VoIP FAQs:
What is an intercom in VoIP?
Intercoms in VoIP send voice messages to an extension, which doesn’t need to be picked up on the other end.
Additionally, VoIP works by turning your voice into a digital signal and delivering it over the Internet to its destination. Additionally, for VoIP to work correctly, you must have a high-speed connection, a computer, and a receiver (or designated phone).
Can I use my cellphone as an intercom?
With a smart intercom system such as ButterflyMX, you can download a mobile app that is compatible with the intercom software. For instance, you can control the intercom’s functions remotely when connected to the app.