If you own, develop, or manage multifamily apartment buildings, you know you need a comprehensive intercom system. To ensure tenant satisfaction, you want an apartment video intercom system that provides two-way video communication. But as you begin investigating your choices, you may realize that you have a lot of options. Let us help.
Start here by comparing solutions from two leaders in the video intercom market, the 2N Verso and the ButterflyMX smart video intercom.
This post will cover:
- About 2N
- About the 2N Verso intercom
- Pros and cons
- Comparison of the 2N Verso intercom with the ButterflyMX smart video intercom
Founded in 1991 in Prague, Czech Republic, 2N shifted its focus from analog to IP technology in 2005, eventually launching an IP intercom in 2008. 2N opened a U.S. office in Florida in 2011. Then, in 2016, 2N was acquired by Axis Communications, a leading audio and video solutions developer. Headquartered in Lund, Sweden, Axis Communications employs more than 2600 employees in 50 countries.
About the 2N Verso intercom
As a modular intercom system, the 2N Verso offers customizability. Users can configure a system online with 2N’s virtual product designer.
The Verso comes in two models: the Verso IP, a cloud-based video intercom, and the Verso LTE, a wireless apartment intercom system. Both models can operate with in-unit stations or with a mobile app. Additionally, 2N’s centralized Access Commander software lets you configure, control, and monitor access throughout the community.
- Session Initiation Protocol (SIP): SIP intercom protocol allows the 2N IP Verso to connect with existing IP phones without connecting to a server. Those wanting to connect via mobile broadband should select the 2N LTE Verso.
- Mobile app: The 2N mobile app, available for both Android and Apple devices, allows tenants to open the door and video chat with visitors using smartphones and tablets.
- Camera optional: You can purchase the 2N Verso with or without a built-in camera.
- Access options: The system offers optional access features including a fingerprint reader, a Bluetooth reader, or an RFID reader.
- Email entry photos: Users can choose to receive photos of visitors entering the property via email.
Watch how ButterflyMX works:
Pricing is not available on the company’s website, but the total cost of a 2N Verso intercom system is sure to vary given its modular design. Since each feature added to your configuration comes at an additional cost, the price of your 2N intercom depends on the features you choose. However, the MSRP starts at $4,150. We recommend you get a quote.
Pros and cons
- Camera features a field of view of up to 120 degrees and can be combined with an external camera to cover any blind spots.
- 2N offers free remote configuration service, support hours of 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern time, and an online help desk for technical support.
- You can combine the IP Verso with an audio induction loop that allows those with hearing impairments to communicate with visitors.
- The Verso intercom’s IP54 rating offers dust and moisture resistance, which is lower than competitive systems with an IP65 rating.
- Relatively limited design options, featuring only black and housing finishes.
- Fewer reviews than some competitors’ reviews.
- Lacks delivery PIN and virtual key features for easy guest access and seamless package deliveries.
Comparison of the 2N IP Verso intercom with the ButterflyMX smart video intercom
Though 2N is a player in the video intercom industry, ButterflyMX has a decided advantage over the 2N IP Verso intercom.
The first is the video display. ButterflyMX’s intercom displays real-time video footage so that anyone who approaches the intercom sees themselves on the screen. This display may help deter crime and prevent vandalism. The 2N Verso, on the other hand, lacks a video footage display on the outdoor intercom hardware. In fact, the built-in camera appears to be unrecognizable, so visitors likely won’t even know that there is a camera watching them. This also means that the 2N intercom does not offer two-way video calling.
Second is ButterflyMX’s integrations with the most popular property management software (PMS) solutions. Integrating your intercom system with your PMS allows you to automatically update tenant information in the intercom when you make changes in the management software. As a result, you won’t have to waste time updating information on two different platforms. The time savings is significant — especially in large communities or those with high turnover.
The third is app experience. Like many of its competitors, 2N’s mobile app serves as an alternative to in-unit hardware. However, 2N may not focus primarily on smartphone-based intercom technology. ButterflyMX, on the other hand, focuses exclusively on a mobile app-based intercom with smartphone-enabled access, and its app’s positive reviews reflect this effort.
These benefits, combined with ButterflyMX’s IP65-rated hardware and intuitive design, make it worthy of serious consideration by anyone purchasing a video intercom system.
ButterflyMX vs. 2N IP Verso
While the 2N IP Verso intercom is an apartment building entry solution, it may lack the technology to make it a truly powerful and comprehensive intercom system. Though this 2N intercom does allow smartphone-based access, the mobile app may not offer the robust functionality and user-friendliness of other IP intercoms. Plus, since the 2N IP Version is not IP65 rated, it may not be as durable as other intercoms.
|Feature||ButterflyMX||2N IP Verso|
|Mobile app & smartphone-based access||Yes||Yes|
|Two-way video calling||Yes||No|
|Multiple intercom sizes||Yes||No|
|Property management software integrations||Yes||Yes|
Disclaimer: ButterflyMX provides these blog posts to help our customers and potential customers make the right business decisions for them. Our blog posts are based on the information we have available to us at the time of writing.