- IFTTT (If This Then That) is a general automation app used for various purposes, including smart apartments.
- With IFTTT, you can enable apps and devices to work together and create unique automation controls that fit your needs and workflow.
- IFTTT offers a free plan limited to two Applets.
- A more comprehensive alternative to IFTTT is ButterflyMX.
Managing homes and apartments is immensely time-consuming, but there is a growing suite of automation products to help with the process.
Using apartment automation software enables you to connect devices, streamline processes, and make managing an apartment easier. Furthermore, apartment automation software integrates smart devices and systems, making controlling functions such as HVAC convenient.
However, deciding what apartment automation software to use can often take time, as the features vary across solutions. To help you find the right option for your needs, we’ll look at the IFTTT app, including what it does, how it works, and whether it’s worth investing in!
This post covers:
- What is IFTTT, and how does it work?
- What does the IFTTT app do?
- IFTTT review
- Pros and cons
- Should you get the IFTTT app?
- What are the alternatives to the IFTTT app?
What is IFTTT, and how does it work?
IFTTT (If This Then That) is a general automation app used for various purposes, including smart apartments. IFTTT pairs with different apps and devices and triggers actions depending on the function needed.
The IFTTT app helps you decide what happens first and what happens next – if this happens, then that happens. IFTTT might sound a little confusing, but at its core, it’s all about triggering automation when specific events occur.
With the IFTTT App, you can set up automated workflows between products, where one event triggers another. Depending on your needs, the automation is customizable across different areas. For instance, you can automate lead generation, social media, productivity, customer communications, and more.
What does the IFTTT app do?
With IFTTT, you can enable apps and devices to work together and create unique automation controls that fit your needs and workflow.
Moreover, when two or more apps and devices are connected, this is called an Applet. IFTTT offers a wide variety of services in their Applet feature — also called the connections list. Once you get the hang of the IFTTT app, a lot is available to you.
Furthermore, you can combine two or more services and create your Applet as needed. The automation can be simple reminders, trigger specific actions at certain times, or various things customized to your needs.
More examples of smart home automation via IFTTT include:
- Opening and shutting garage doors.
- Turning lights on and off during specific periods of the day.
- Creating energy-saving automation based on weather conditions.
- Connecting lights, devices, and cameras for home security automation.
Now that you know what IFTTT is, let’s take a closer look at the features, cost, and performance.
- DIY or use published Applets as needed
- No-code integrations
- Exclusive triggers and actions
- Create triggers for multiple actions
- The ability to further customize automation
- Multiple accounts can be connected to one service
- Customer support available
If you are seeking a basic solution, IFTTT offers a free plan limited to two Applets. For those needing more, there is an IFTTT Pro Plan for approximately $3 a month, with up to 20 Applets available for usage.
For all that and more access, there is the IFTTT Pro+ Plan for approximately $5 per month, including unlimited Applets and additional features.
Pros and cons
- Free trial available.
- Good web and mobile app interface.
- Easy to get started and use.
- Affordable plans available.
- No to low code options available.
- Prioritized customer support available for Pro and Pro+ plan users.
- Multi-step applets are only available for Pro and Pro+ plan users.
- It is not always consistent with running automation, and it can be tricky to ensure automation is always working.
- Not all services or devices may offer triggers that can be linked via IFTTT automation.
Discover five apartment gadgets every resident wants:
Should you get the IFTTT app?
The IFTTT app offers a lot of functionalities and ease, and it can be immensely time-saving. The IFTTT App has a great UX experience and is relatively easy to navigate and get started with.
However, there is still a learning curve with using the app and getting your smart home automation set up. With the IFTTT app, it’s hard to get the most out of it if you’re not very experienced with home automation. While the app does provide suggestions, it can often be challenging to identify and set up the right automation for your needs.
Further, the process of putting together the automation and workflows is relatively easy, and there are functionalities to help you create bespoke solutions using Applets.
However, the free version is limited in what it offers regarding automation and Applets. So, you will likely need the paid version to get the most out of the product.
What are the alternatives to IFTTT?
While IFTTT is a great option, some other products worth exploring could include:
OpenHAB. OpenHAB is an open-source apartment automation software that operates as the center of a smart home. The OpenHAB home kit integrates with many devices and streamlines into one workflow. Furthermore, it can support over 200 technologies and systems and integrate with over a thousand devices — making it a comprehensive apartment automation solution.
SmartThings. SmartThings is a smart home solution developed by Samsung to integrate with their home and personal devices. Moreover, SmartThings can be linked to various devices, and custom automation workflows can be created based on what is needed.
Additionally, if you’re looking for a more comprehensive multifamily access solution, consider ButterflyMX. ButterflyMX’s mission is ‘access made simple’ and, as such, offers access control systems like video intercoms and keypads. Further, residents, guests, and delivery personnel can enter the building through a swipe on their smartphone with the ButterflyMX mobile app.
Disclaimer: ButterflyMX provides these blog posts to help our customers and potential customers make the right business decisions for them. Our blog posts are based on the information we have available to us at the time of writing.