- Smart building intercom systems are internet-connected building entry devices that allow residents to remotely grant access to their buildings via smartphone.
- The top smart intercom devices on the market are ButterflyMX, Openpath, and myQ.
- Intercom use cases include gate and door entry, package delivery, and self-guided tours.
- Benefits of intercoms include remote access, easy monitoring, and multiple credential methods.
Intercoms improve building security by allowing tenants to speak to visitors before letting them in. But, property technology is a rapidly changing industry, and the once high-tech video intercom systems for apartments are now outdated, clunky, and in need of an upgrade.
However, a smart intercom can make residents’ lives more convenient, allowing your residents to easily grant access to visitors like family, friends, or delivery people. Below, we’ll introduce you to the intercom system upgrade you didn’t know you needed!
In this post, discover:
- Top three smart apartment intercom systems
- What is a smart intercom system?
- Use cases for smart intercoms
- What are the benefits of a smart intercom?
- What to consider before buying a smart intercom
Top three smart apartment intercom systems
While there may be a number of smart system with video on the market, these are the top three that lead:
The ButterflyMX video intercom is the best on the market, with a design that is people-focused. Simplified access control is the aim, and this intercom system accomplishes that with its vision of access made simple.
With the ButterflyMX smart video intercom, you can:
- Provide virtual keys to service providers like dog walkers and house cleaners.
- Open doors and gates with a smartphone instead of your keys.
- Enjoy hands-free access to open doors when your hands are full.
- See who is at your door through a live two-way video call.
- Review time-stamped photos of everyone who accesses the property.
- Give unique PIN codes to visitors and guests for easy access.
Top features include:
- A wide-angle camera view.
- In-device WiFi.
- RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) in the device.
- Bluetooth and NFC (near-field communication) equipped.
Openpath’s first video intercom doorbell solution was the Video Intercom Reader Pro.
This Openpath intercom allows visitors to press a button and say the name of the person they’re visiting to start a one-way call. The tenant answers that call from their smartphone, so they can see and talk to the visitor.
Features of the Openpath video intercom include:
- Mobile app for smartphones, watches, or tablets.
- Key card/fob entry that works with key cards or fobs that use RFID technology.
- A wave-to-unlock feature to unlock the door.
- One-way video calling for tenants to see visitors.
- Press to call so visitors can say the name of the tenant they’re visiting.
myQ Community is an intercom system for apartment buildings with features to suit property managers and residents alike. They specialize in low, mid, and high-rise community buildings.
Features to expect from myQ include:
- Access control for residents, deliveries, package rooms, and more.
- Mobile credentials minimize key fob and key card use.
- Property management system integrations.
- 24/7 log of smart video intercom interactions from guests and residents.
What is a smart intercom system?
Smart building intercom systems are internet-connected building entry devices that allow residents to grant access to their buildings remotely via smartphone. Most of these smart systems also have a built-in camera to enable video calling between tenants and visitors. They not only increase security at the property, but they also enhance convenience for tenants and visitors.
A smart video intercom empowers residents to open doors and gates right from their smartphones. As a result, they don’t have to deal with annoying keys and fobs.
Additionally, property managers enjoy granting remote access to visitors for self-guided tours, maintenance workers, and service providers.
Watch how the ButterflyMX smart video intercom works:
Use cases for smart intercoms
Understanding how a smart apartment intercom system can benefit your property starts with knowing when and how to use it.
The top use cases for smart intercoms include:
- Gate and front door entry. Smart video intercoms are great solutions to gated and front door entry access. They make it easy for visitors to access parking garages, front entryways, and more with their smartphone or PIN.
- Package delivery. It’s frustrating when you or a resident misses a delivery because of hard-to-access areas. With a smart device intercom, delivery personnel can now two-way calls for access.
- Self-guided tours. More often, prospective tenants are opting for self-guided tours. This also frees up the time for many property managers, and intercom systems for apartments make it even more convenient.
What are the benefits of a smart intercom?
A smart intercom is a security, access control, and visitor management tool all in one. With one installed at the building’s entrance, property owners and managers can worry less about monitoring their property. However, the benefits of intercoms in apartments extend to both tenants and property managers.
Benefits of smart intercoms for tenants
Top benefits of a smart apartment intercom for tenants include:
- Unlock doors and gates from anywhere. Residents can grant access to their trusted visitors, even when they’re not at home.
- Never miss a delivery. Since delivery carriers always have a way to gain access with a smart video intercom, residents will never miss another delivery. Best of all: Residents don’t have to be home to let in the delivery driver.
- Multiple entry methods. With a smart video intercom, residents can unlock the door or gate for themselves using one of many methods, such as swiping on their smartphone app, using a voice command, or entering a PIN code.
Benefits of smart intercoms for property managers
Benefits of smart intercom systems for property managers and owners include:
- Easily monitor visitors and guests. Managers can review entry logs of everyone who accessed the building via the intercom.
- Remote system management. Since smart video intercoms operate with cloud-based software, staff can add or remove tenants and adjust access permissions as needed.
- No need to be on-site. Property staff can manage the system and grant access from anywhere, which means they can oversee every building in their portfolio without having to physically be on-site.
What to consider before buying a smart intercom
Choosing the right smart video intercom system for your building boils down to what you need vs. what is on the market. Pricing and availability are top priorities, but there are a few more things to consider when shopping for an intercom or access control system.
Features to look for in a smart video intercom system include:
- Built-in camera for video calling capabilities.
- Integration ability with your property management software.
- Easy-to-use interface and online portal.
- Smartphone and touchless access capabilities.
- Retrofitting installment requirements.
Additionally, consider the company selling and installing the product. Certified, insured, and knowledgeable installers can make or break your experience with any given product.