When seeking to upgrade your property’s access control system, you’ll encounter products and services provided by many access control companies. The large number of different companies and products can be overwhelming, but we’re here to help!
First, we’ll define what an access control company is. Next, we’ll review the benefits of researching different access control companies. Finally, we’ll provide you with a list of the top five ACS companies.
This post covers:
- What is an access control company?
- Why is researching access control companies important?
- How much does access control cost?
- Who are the top 5 access control systems manufacturers?
What is an access control company?
An access control company develops and sells access control technology. This includes physical devices such as keypads as well as access control software. The top door access control system brands often sell directly to customers, but some companies go through dealers.
Products offered by an access control company often include:
- Key card readers
- Smart locks
- Package rooms
- Key lockers
Why is researching access control companies important?
It’s important to do a lot of research before committing to any one access control company.
Access control companies sell a wide variety of products. And not every company will provide the right access control system for your property because every property has unique features and needs.
For example, the best access control system for an office might not be the best access control system for schools.
Keep in mind, when purchasing products from an access control company, you’re putting your property’s safety in their hands. According to an FBI statistic, over 16% of property crimes are burglaries.
So, when choosing an access control company, you must consider how much security your property needs vs. how much security the company can offer. Further, consider your budget to ensure you don’t spend more than you have.
How much does access control cost?
Access control systems range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. This range is so high because of the large range of technology that different companies offer.
For example, some access control companies offer advanced systems that feature RFID technology, biometric scanners, or fingerprint door locks. Other companies only offer smart locks and keypad door locks. Systems that cover larger properties also cost more.
Who are the top 5 access control systems manufacturers?
While five companies might seem like a lot to choose from, many access control manufacturers only suit certain property types. In this list, we’re going to focus on the products and features that each company offers, along with related information that makes the company unique.
The top access control companies are:
Founded in 2014, ButterflyMX is installed in more than 10,000 buildings and caters to over 1,000,000 tenants in residential, commercial, and industrial buildings.
Features of the ButterflyMX video intercom system include:
- Mobile app entry. Residents can enter the building with just the swipe of a finger via the ButterflyMX mobile app.
- Remote access. Users can grant access to guests and delivery drivers with the mobile app even when they aren’t home. Further, temporary access codes can be provided to visitors.
- IP65 rating. Intercoms located outdoors are built to withstand extreme weather conditions.
- Cloud-based software. Software updates occur automatically with an internet connection.
- Easy installation. No in-unit hardware is required for apartments and offices.
- Audit log. The video intercom takes time-and date-stamped entry logs for every entry event. Then, these can be reviewed in the case of a security incident.
ButterflyMX’s other access control products include:
- Keypads and card readers. ButterflyMX’s keypads and fob readers are great for controlling access to secondary entrances, garages, and amenity spaces.
- Package rooms. A package room is a room secured by a ButterflyMX video intercom that offers a secure space for packages to be left. Only approved couriers and residents can access the package room with their unique PIN codes.
- Vehicle access systems. These tags go in each resident’s vehicle and signal gates and garage doors to open.
- Smart locks. ButterflyMX integrates with most smart locks to allow mobile access. Smart locks can also be used to secure internal rooms on a property.
- Elevator controls. With elevator controls installed, visitors who are granted access via the video intercom will automatically have access to key-fobbed elevators, too. However, they’ll only be able to access the floor of the tenant they’re visiting.
Learn more about access control and ButterflyMX:
Launched in 2002, Brivo offers both commercial and residential access control systems.
Their primary products include:
- Control panels that allow for their different products to integrate
- Cloud-based video cameras
- Smart locks
- Smart readers that respond to mobile devices as a credential
- Emergency lockdown options
- Mobile-based entry
- Visitor management systems
- Open API technology platform that allows for integration with various other companies and products
Founded in 1997, Genetec access control focuses on its system Synergis. Their products tend to cater more to commercial properties. However, they can be installed in multifamily buildings as well.
- Encrypted credential authentication
- Security center integration for other building technologies
- Synergis covers both large and small-scale buildings
- Cloud-based technology
Genetec offers a number of different devices that integrate with Synergis, including:
- Electronic locks
- IP-based controllers
- IoT devices for enclosure management
- IoT gateways
- Door controllers
Openpath, acquired by Motorola Solutions in 2021, features state-of-the-art access control systems for commercial and multifamily properties.
Their access control system features:
- Video intercoms.
- Cloud-based software.
- Encrypted credentials.
- On-premise solutions that allow for easy integration with other products.
- App integration through the Openpath App marketplace.
- Activity alerts and door entry tracking.
- Hands-free entry.
The cost of an Openpath access control system is determined after a consultation.
Note: Openpath rebranded to Avigilon in 2023.
Founded in 1920, Bosch access control is a global company that provides access control systems all over the world. Their access control systems can be installed in both residential and commercial buildings.
Features of their access control systems include:
- Server based.
- Choice of key fobs, key cards, biometric readers, mobile access, touchless readers, and other credential services.
Visitor management options.
Bosch features a wide variety of different products to choose from. This is useful if you have particular technology features in mind (such as key fobs) that you want to implement at your property.
- Access control companies provide different access control systems and security technologies.
- It’s important to research many companies in order to find the best system that meets your property’s unique needs.
- Access control systems have a big range in costs because of the big range of technologies offered by each system.
- Some of the top access control companies include ButterflyMX, Brivo, Genetec, Openpath, and Bosch.
- The best access control company for all types of properties is ButterflyMX.