Photo Credit: Lockly
- Lockly is a property technology company and smart lock provider that focuses on merging sturdy lock designs with modern wireless technologies.
- The Lockly smart products utilize 128-bit encryption, a dynamic mobile app, and PIN Genie lockpad scrambling technology.
- The Lockly Secure series features Standard, Plus, and Pro models.
- An integration with or alternative to Lockly is the ButterflyMX video intercom system.
- Alternatives to Lockly include the Wyze smart lock and Schlage Encode.
Building security and convenience are every property manager’s priorities. And smart locks are one of the best ways to add both to your property. However, it can be tough to choose the best smart lock for your apartment or office building.
Lockly is one provider to consider. Its flagship line of smart locks — the Secure series — has several locks to choose from. In this review, we break down the Lockly Secure Series smart locks to help you determine whether they’re a good fit for your property.
This post covers:
- What is Lockly?
- How do Lockly smart locks work?
- Review of Lockly Secure smart locks
- Pros and cons of Lockly
- Lockly smart lock FAQs
- Should you get Lockly smart locks?
- Alternatives to Lockly
What is Lockly?
Lockly is a property technology company and smart lock provider that focuses on merging sturdy lock designs with modern wireless technologies. Founded by a University of California Berkeley graduate, Lockly is currently based in Silicon Valley.
Backed by years of manufacturing and development experience, the company offers an innovative product portfolio with unique features, like its patented PIN Genie technology and 3D biometric fingerprint scanner.
How do Lockly smart locks work?
Generally, Lockly are well regarded for several key reasons. First, every smart lock produced by Lockly is secured with 128-bit encryption, which is one of the most secure encryption methods available with modern IoT devices. Additionally, every Lockly Secure Lock can be controlled with a proprietary app.
The Lockly mobile app allows you to:
- Lock or unlock your door remotely
- Send guests access codes so they can enter your home while you aren’t there
- Monitor the door status (i.e. is the door closed or open?)
- Issue temporary keys
- Create and manage access codes
- Set custom lock durations
All Lockly Secure Locks use Lockly’s patented “PIN Genie” technology. This technology scrambles the digital keypad display every time someone approaches the door. So, it can prevent someone from guessing your door lock passcode by seeing where your finger hovers over the keypad. Finally, Lockly offers a two-year electronics warranty and a limited lifetime mechanical and finish warranty on its smart locks.
With that said, let’s take a closer look at the Lockly Secure Series and what it actually offers.
Watch how ButterflyMX works:
Review of Lockly Secure smart locks
The Lockly Secure series of smart locks includes three lines: Standard, Plus, and Pro. Each line offers deadbolt varieties, latch varieties, and Bluetooth technology.
The Standard line may be the most affordable and the simplest. The Plus line includes everything that the Standard line offers, but it incorporates a side-mounted fingerprint sensor. Its fingerprint sensor is connected to an internal database that can store up to 99 fingerprints at once.
Lastly, the Pro line offers Bluetooth, a fingerprint sensor, and WiFi connectivity. Lockly’s WiFi hub is included with the purchase of a Secure Pro lock. The WiFi hub may allow you to manage smart locks from afar and let you integrate your Lockly ocks with your smart home network.
With this addition, you can gain greater control over the entire system, plus get access to enhanced functionality. The WiFi smart lock is slightly faster and more accurate, and you can control your doors with voice commands.
Ultimately, these three lines of smart locks are fairly similar to one another. Each line adds one additional feature, which may result in a higher price but greater functionality.
- Three finishes to choose from: Satin Nickel, Venetian Bronze, and Matte Black
- Two models: latch or deadbolt
- Bluetooth connectivity is standard for all Secure series locks
- Fingerprint reader available on Lockly Secure Plus and Pro locks
- WiFi connectivity available in Pro locks
- Grant temporary eKeys and one-time access codes
- Offline Access Code™ feature, which allows users to send access codes remotely without an internet connection
- Scrambling keypad
- Proprietary mobile app
The cost of Lockly locks depends on which line of the Secure series you choose. Additionally, its latch locks are more expensive than deadbolt locks.
Lockly lock pricing is as follows:
- Standard Latch: $209.99
- Standard Deadbolt: $179.99
- Plus Latch: $249.99
- Pro Latch: $299.99
- Pro Deadbolt: $279.99
- Plus Deadbolt: $229.99
Pros & cons of Lockly
- Compatible with existing smart home technology
- Offers a visitor access solution, including eKeys and offline access codes
- Good security features, especially the scrambling keypad
- The Secure line offers one lock under $200
- Durable, reliable, and able to withstand inclement weather
- Lockly’s WiFi hub is compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant
- Users have reported issues with the fingerprint sensor
- The WiFi connectivity may not be foolproof and can be spotty from time to time
- The Secure Pro line may be pricey for some
- The Lockly app allegedly has some language translation issues
Is Lockly a good door lock?
Ultimately, we would say that Lockly is a good door lock, but it might not be the best fit for your unique property. This is especially true if you own or operate a multifamily property or commercial building.
Lockly smart lock FAQs
- Does Lockly require a subscription?
- Can I unlock Lockly from anywhere?
- How long does Lockly lock you out?
- Does Lockly work with RING?
Does Lockly require a subscription?
Yes and no. Lockly does not require a subscription for the first three locks that you own. If you own and operate multiple Lockly locks for different properties, then you need to subscribe via the mobile app.
Can I unlock Lockly from anywhere?
As long as you are able to connect to your Lockly mobile app, then you can unlock your devices from anywhere in the world.
How long does Lockly lock you out?
If you fail to enter your Lockly code during your second attempt, then the device will lock you out for precisely 20 minutes. A visible countdown will appear on your screen. Further failures will result in an increase of 10 minutes to your lock out time.
Does Lockly work with RING?
Lockly does not have any direct integrations with RING doorbells or similar devices. However, Lockly does offer a video doorbell called the Lockly Vision. Additionally, Lockly smart locks integrate well with other security technologies, such as CCTV cameras.
Should you get Lockly smart locks?
In terms of functionality and security, Lockly is a leading provider of reliable products.
Overall, Lockly’s Secure series of smart locks is an excellent collection because it offers three lines to accommodate various buildings. If cost is your priority and you don’t mind foregoing extra features, the Standard line could be a good fit. But if WiFi connectivity is important, it might be worth splurging for the Pro line.
For property owners and managers who want to improve security and add convenience to their building’s access experience, Lockly locks might be a great choice. Lockly’s unique self-scrambling keypad can add an additional layer of security.
When you combine Lockly with ButterflyMX’s video intercom system, your building staff and residents will enjoy the convenience of using a mobile app to open doors, grant access to visitors, and ensure you never miss another delivery.
Alternatives to Lockly
Lockly smart locks aren’t your only option. There are numerous other smart locks with unique features that you can choose from:
- Wyze smart lock. Wyze can switch between Bluetooth, WiFi, and Zigbee wireless connectivity. Their lock integrates with Amazon Alexa, allowing for voice controls. Additionally, their lock features two-factor authentication, which allows for extra secure entry from users.
- Schlage Encode. Like Lockly, it offers an intuitive mobile app and integrates well with other security systems and access control systems. Additionally, this system is remarkably easy to attach and install to any door.
Disclaimer: ButterflyMX provides these blog posts to help our customers and potential customers make the right business decisions for them. Our blog posts are based on the information we have available to us at the time of writing.