Finding the right smart lock for your apartment is vital – after all, security and convenience are your residents’ two top priorities. If you’re looking for smart locks, you’ve probably heard of August. August’s line of smart locks is popular in the multifamily industry, but is the August Smart Lock Connect a worthwhile product for your building? Let’s take a look at the August Smart Lock + Connect WiFi Bridge in detail.
This post covers:
- About August
- About August smart locks
- Review of August Smart Lock + Connect
- Should you get the August Smart Lock Connect?
August is a well-known smart lock and home security company founded in San Francisco in 2012. It produces a variety of smart door locks and accessories. August was acquired in 2017 by ASSA ABLOY, a larger conglomerate of home access solution companies.
About August smart locks
August smart locks are generally intuitive, easy to install, and are designed to integrate with numerous smart home systems, including Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and more.
August currently offers three types of smart locks:
- Smart Lock, a basic smart door lock and the company’s most affordable option.
- Smart Lock Pro, which is a little lighter and smaller than the basic Smart Lock.
- WiFi Smart Lock, which doesn’t require an additional WiFi Bridge device.
Both the Smart Lock and the Smart Lock Pro require an extra WiFi Bridge device to connect the Bluetooth locks to a WiFi network. But all August smart door locks include Bluetooth functionality out of the box.
Watch how ButterflyMX works:
Review of August Smart Lock + Connect
The August Smart Lock is the most basic lock available from the company. It’s also the most affordable, even compared to the higher tiers of locks with sales or bundle discounts.
Overall, it’s a user-friendly smart lock device that takes less than 10 minutes to install. The August Smart Lock goes over an existing deadbolt so you don’t have to change your lock hardware or keys. That said, it’s a little heavy compared to other smart lock options, clocking in at 15.5 ounces.
To enable all the features this lock offers, you’ll need to pair it with an August Connect WiFi Bridge. The Connect is a device that connects your Bluetooth lock to WiFi for internet access. It can be plugged into any standard wall outlet.
Together, the lock and the WiFi bridge create the August Smart Lock + Connect. This bundle is a great way to maximize the functionality of the basic smart lock device. A user needs the Connect bridge to integrate their smart lock with their smart home systems, including Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and more. Remote access is also only available with the August Connect WiFi Bridge.
- Mobile app-based access, which means users can lock or unlock the door from a distance, grant guest access when needed, and check door access history.
- Automatic lock and unlock functionalities. Users can set these two specific time frames, or use the default settings to auto-lock after 30 minutes.
- Maximum security, thanks to its exclusive DoorSense tech, which is proprietary to August. This tells you when your lock is secured or open and sends regular app notifications.
- The August Smart Lock Connect uses two-factor authentication, two-layer encryption, and comes with a lost phone feature to disable your August app from afar if you ever lose your phone.
- Completely keyless entry.
- A digital guest key feature so users can enable access for trusted visitors.
- Compatible with Apple Watch.
- Compatible with August’s Smart Keypad for convenient keycode entry (must be purchased and installed separately).
August Smart Lock Connect pricing
The August Smart Lock — the brand’s most basic smart lock solution — starts at $149.99. However, the August Smart Lock Connect package costs $228.99.
August offers additional bundles with other products and accessories. These bundles offer great value for the money. For example, The Good Roommate bundle includes the August Smart Lock + Connect and the August Smart Keypad for added keycode access. That’s just $259.99, so it’s barely more expensive than purchasing just the August Smart Lock and Connect WiFi Bridge together.
Since WiFi connectivity is required to fully unlock some of this smart lock’s best features, the price of the August Smart Lock is $228.99 for the best user experience.
Pros & cons
- Very easy and quick to install.
- Installs right over an existing deadbolt.
- Has a great range of locking controls, settings, and features.
- Remote connectivity when paired with a WiFi Bridge.
- Easy for multiple people to use.
- Not at risk of being abused if you lose your phone.
- Lacks some of its real value without the WiFi Bridge.
- May not connect to as many smart home systems as the Smart Lock Pro.
- The Connect WiFi Bridge must be purchased separately.
- No traditional keyhole as a secondary form of access.
- No built-in keypad for PIN code access — you must buy and install the August Smart Keypad separately.
Should you get the August Smart Lock + Connect?
At the end of the day, the August Smart Lock is a great starter option for those looking to make their buildings smarter. Residents will appreciate the convenient smartphone-based access experience. Plus, you’ll save time and money copying keys and changing locks when tenants move out.
That said, the August Smart Lock Connect isn’t really as affordable as it initially seems. You’ll need to purchase the August WiFi Connect Bridge to make the most of this smart lock and its various features.
Alternatives to August Smart Lock Connect
If WiFi connectivity is important to you — and for most property managers and building owners, it is — you may want to consider the August WiFi Smart Lock. This option has built-in WiFi connectivity, which means you don’t need to purchase the Connect WiFi Bridge.
Another viable alternative to August locks is Schlage smart locks. The Schlage Encode is a great option if you prefer smart locks that offer additional entry options, as it includes a traditional keyhole and a built-in keypad.
Disclaimer: ButterflyMX provides these blog posts to help our customers and potential customers make the right business decisions for them. Our blog posts are based on the information we have available to us at the time of writing.