- Consider a remote control gate from a provider like Mighty Mule, Ghost Controls, or PowerMaster.
- Remote control gate openers open gates from a distance with a remote controller.
- Remote control gate openers can be accessed with phones and universal controllers, depending on the device.
- When shopping for remote gate openers, be wary of weather resistance, range, and additional features.
- The pros of remote gate openers mostly concern faster entry, while the cons are a number of safety concerns.
- The ButterflyMX vehicle access reader is the best remote gate controller alternative because of its easy installation and time-and-date-stamped recording features.
You have a ton of options when it comes to gate openers. One that may be useful is a remote control gate opener.
In this guide, we’ll list some of the best gates with remote openers in today’s market. Then, we explore what a remote control gate opener is and how it works. Next, we’ll review the pros and cons of remote control gate openers. Finally, we’ll provide you with the best remote control gate opener alternative.
This post covers:
- 3 best remote control gates
- What is a remote control gate opener?
- How do remote control gate openers work?
- What to look for in a remote control gate opener
- The pros and cons of remote control gate openers
- The best remote control gate opener alternative
3 best remote control gates
The best remote control gate openers for sale include:
- Mighty Mule MM571W Smart Gate Opener
- Ghost Controls Solar Single Automatic Gate
- PowerMaster RSW Swing Gate Opener
1. Mighty Mule MM571W Smart Gate Opener
In addition to remote-controlled gates, Mighty Mule offers vehicle sensors, alarms, and gate locks.
The MM71W Smart Gate Opener’s features include:
- A wireless remote with a visor clip.
- Functionality with Mighty Mule’s gate opening app.
- Wireless connections that work as far as half a mile away.
Best for: Property managers interested in the higher capacities of this heavy-duty opener.
2. Ghost Controls Solar Single Automatic Gate
Property managers across the country depend on Ghost Controls to manage gate access.
Ghost Controls’ TSS1XP Solar Single Automatic Gate Opener Kit includes:
- Gate brackets for easier installation.
- Timers and auto-close capabilities.
- 18-month warranty on all components.
Best for: Property managers interested in sustainability — and a lower electric bill each month!
3. PowerMaster RSW Slide Gate Opener
While we’re showcasing the slide gate opener here, PowerMaster also offers swinging gate motors and can serve all sorts of properties.
RSW Slide Gate Opener features include:
- Durable PowerMaster gate opener remote control.
- Photocell monitor for increased safety.
- 433 MHz wireless remote control.
Best for: Money-minded property managers interested in the lower costs associated with sliding gate motors.
What is a remote control gate opener?
A remote control gate opener is a security system device that allows you to open and close gates on your property with the click of a button.
Whether your property is residential or commercial, you can give residents and employees remote controls that will open and close the gates.
How do remote control gate openers work?
When a button on the remote control is pressed, a signal is sent to the receiver which either opens or closes the gate. This signal can be sent by WiFi, Bluetooth, or radio waves.
Remote control gate openers include two devices:
- The receiver. This device receives a wireless signal from the remote and instructs the gate-opening motor to open the gate.
- The remote control. Remote controls send wireless signals to the receiver. Residents must be within a certain distance from the receiver to use their remote. Often, the remote has separate buttons to open and close the gate. Some gates close automatically thanks to sensors that detect when a person or vehicle has finished passing through.
Can any remote work on a gate?
No, in order to operate your gate opener, you need either the specific remote control that comes with it or a compatible universal gate opener.
Is there a universal gate opener?
Yes, there are universal gate openers. However, they are more challenging than their name implies.
Universal remotes are available from retailers such as Amazon that can be programmed with certain gate openers. However, universal electric gate remote controllers are typically meant for single-family homes and electric gate openers for driveways. So, before purchasing one, you should first verify that it will work with your current gate opener.
Watch how ButterflyMX automates access for gated communities:
How do I program my gate opener remote?
How you program a gate opener remote depends on the unique system that you purchase.
However, most modern gate opener remotes are programmed like this:
- First, bring your remote within proximity of the receiver.
- Next, press a “sync” or “program” button on the remote, followed by a similar button on the receiver.
- Both devices should sync using wireless signals.
The above is an extremely generic example of how to program a gate opener remote, but the process should be this easy for most intercom systems. When in doubt, check with the dealer, installer, or manufacturer.
Can I open an electric gate with my phone?
Yes, you can open some electric gates with your phone. The most robust gate opener systems will integrate with a smartphone app.
Luckily, the convenience of smartphone-based apps eliminates the need for any complicated setup. Just download the app, and you can open the gate!
What to look for in a remote control gate opener
There are several important factors to consider when buying a remote control gate opener.
You should choose your remote control gate opener based on:
Your remote control gate opener is out in the elements 24/7. Its weather resistance rating should be IP65 or higher in order to withstand condensation, heavy rain, and dust particles.
Otherwise, your device’s lifespan will be severely impacted.
Further, installing a gate opener that’s not waterproof may result in malfunction. You don’t want your residents trapped outside during a storm!
Ideally, residents should be able to access your gate opener within 50 feet or so. You don’t want a device with a poor range that forces them to press their front bumper to the gate.
Conversely, you don’t want anybody to open the gate from a mile away. This is so that nobody slips onto your property before the guest with the remote control can.
We’ll leave it up to you to decide, but a simple remote-controlled device that opens and closes a gate isn’t the most comprehensive security system. As you’ll see, there’s plenty of room for error with remote control gate openers.
Additional features for remote control gate openers with wireless could include:
- Voice recognition technology
- Alternative entry methods, such as keypads
- License plate readers
- Video intercoms
- Access solutions for guests and delivery drivers
The pros & cons of remote control gate openers
Remote control gate openers are quality access control devices for gates on your property. However, they may not be adequate for multi-tenant properties.
Pros of remote control gate openers:
- Nobody has to leave their car to open the gate.
- Residents don’t have to worry about forgetting their code or password.
- Many remote control gate openers automatically close, which means the gate won’t be left open.
Cons of remote control gate openers:
- Unless programmed into a resident’s car, remote controls can be easily lost or stolen.
- Replacing and purchasing new remote controls is expensive.
- Without additional technology, there is no way to monitor who comes and goes from the property.
- If the remote control relies on batteries and this battery runs out of power, residents will be unable to access the property.
- If the gate opener’s receiver runs on electricity, the gate can’t be opened if the property loses power.
- Remote control gate opener wireless connections can be lost if not set up properly.
The best remote control gate opener alternative
The best remote control gate opener alternative is the ButterflyMX vehicle access reader.
ButterflyMX is installed in more than 10,000 properties — and has more than 20,000 five-star ratings. And many of those properties have gated entrances and parking garages.
The ButterflyMX vehicle access reader can be installed at any gate or other vehicle entrance. When it reads a vehicle’s registered windshield tag, the gate or garage automatically opens.
Other benefits of the ButterflyMX vehicle access reader include:
- IP65 rating. The vehicle reader can withstand rain and other inclement weather conditions.
- Range. Vehicles can safely enter without waiting at the gate.
- Entry logs. Time- and date-stamped records of when the gate is accessed and who accessed it are stored online for easy access.
- Cloud-based technology. This allows automatic software updates and remote system management.
- Easy installation. The reader only requires two wires to install.
- Integration. Can be combined with other access control devices, such as video intercoms.
- Remote management. You can easily grant and revoke access to residents and their vehicle tags.