The front gate is the most important point of access on any property. In fact, on a given day, hundreds of vehicles may enter and exit through the community gate. And without a functional gate access control system, many headaches and complaints can arise.
This post will cover:
- What is an electric gate?
- What to consider before adding ButterflyMX to an electric gate
- How to control a vehicle gate with ButterflyMX
What is an electric gate?
There are two main types of electric gates: sliding and swinging.
As the name suggests, the main difference between the two is that one will horizontally slide when activated while the other will swing outward or inward. The gate will have an opener that, when activated, will unlock the gate.
What to consider before adding ButterflyMX to an electric gate
Each community has unique challenges, so consider a few things before installing a video intercom to ensure gate access will be functional and efficient.
What to consider:
- Is there an existing access control system present? If not, you may need to take additional steps upon installation.
- Does your client want a pedestal? Although not required, many users prefer a pedestal in addition to their intercom to create a seamless gate entry experience.
How to control a vehicle gate with ButterflyMX
Installing a ButterflyMX video intercom at a vehicle gate is very similar to installing it at a front door entrance.
Follow these three steps to install ButterflyMX at an electric gate:
- Determine if there is an existing access control system
- Install the pedestal (if necessary)
- Follow installation instructions
Step 1: Determine if there is an existing access control system
You must determine if there’s a pre-existing access control system in place. If an access control system is present, you’ll simply need to wire the ButterflyMX intercom directly to the system. However, if there’s not an access control system present, you can wire the intercom straight to a Direct Current (DC) powered lock.
Step 2: Install the pedestal (if necessary)
If your client opts to have a pedestal to mount the ButterflyMX video intercom, visit Pedestal Pro to complete the purchase. You can find pedestal diagrams on our website.
Step 3: Follow installation instructions
Follow these instructions to install the ButterflyMX video intercom.