Out of the many ways you can market your property online, creating a Google My Business (GMB) profile is one of the most beneficial. It utilizes the best features of SEO (search engine optimization) without requiring you to be an SEO expert.
However, effectively using Google My Business for apartments requires some strategizing, so we created this handy guide. In this post, we’ll go over what Google My Business is and how it works. Then, we’ll cover why you should take advantage of GMB and how to most effectively use Google My Business for apartments.
This guide covers:
- What is Google My Business?
- How to set up a Google My Business account for your apartment
- Benefits of Google My Business for apartments
- 3 ways to successfully use Google My Business for apartments
What is Google My Business?
Google My Business is a platform that allows you to manage an online business profile that appears in Google search results. This profile showcases your business’s contact information, such as your address, website, and phone number. It also features photos, customer reviews, business hours, and other pertinent details.
Google My Business is a great feature for apartment buildings to ensure that anyone searching for your property can easily find your website and contact you. Prospective residents interested in your property can learn more about your building from your Google Business Profile. Once you activate your Google My Business account, you can control the information that is displayed about your property in Google searches.
How much does it cost to put my business on Google?
Google My Business is free to use. However, you need to invest some time in building up your profile. Luckily, you won’t need any special abilities or technical skills to do so.
Discover the top 3 ways to determine how much to charge for rent:
How to set up a Google My Business account for your apartment
Similar to SEO, Google My Business for apartments can be used as an effective marketing strategy that links your building and its website to Google search results.
Google My Business is simultaneously tied to another Google feature you may have heard about: a Google Business Profile. Below we’ll explain what a Google Business Profile is. We’ll also go over why you need to create one before reaping the benefits of Google My Business.
You will need to:
Create a Google Business Profile
Your apartment building is a business. As such, you can create a Google Business Profile for it on Google.
All you need to do is claim your property’s address as a business. Google will verify that there is a business at that location. By verifying your address, you’ll see your building come up if you search for it on Google.
A Google Business Profile can be customized to increase your visibility when someone googles available apartments in your area. You can set a featured image, write a description about the property, and link to your website or rental application form. However, you can’t customize your Business Profile yet.
As it turns out, anybody can notify Google of a business’s location and create a Business Profile. So in order to claim your business as your own, you’ll need to set up your Google My Business account.
Create a Google My Business account
Now that you’ve set up your Google Business Profile, you’re ready to claim your Google My Business account.
Google will require you to verify your information through either a phone number or a physical card sent in the mail. If your building has a main office, make sure to use that phone number (instead of your personal device). There’s a chance Google will require both methods, and the process can take up to seven days.
Finally, after verifying that you own the business, you can begin customizing your Google Business Profile.
When first accessing your Google My Business profile, remember to:
- Fill out all of your building’s information, such as an address, phone number, website, etc.
- Make sure all of your information is accurate. Someone may have uploaded the wrong phone number for your main office as well as office hours. This can hurt your website’s ranking in Google search results.
- Choose the correct business category.
- Review the photos people have uploaded. You can delete these if they inaccurately depict your building. You can also upload your own photos.
- Download the Google My Business app to manage your account directly from your phone.
Benefits of Google My Business for apartments
GMB can be a huge help in making your building more visible to potential residents when they search for a new apartment building.
It does so by:
- Prominently showcasing your building in Google search results.
- Providing an immediate information panel on the search results page that gives users your address, contact information, and website link.
- Giving you control of your Google Business Profile so that you can customize the information you provide and make it as appealing as possible. This includes adding pictures and video content.
- Featuring reviews from former and current residents.
Everything that GMB provides appears on the main Google page after a user performs a search. They don’t have to click on any external links to access the information you provide.
3 ways to successfully use Google My Business for apartments
Now that you’ve created your account, you can incorporate GMB into your digital marketing strategy.
Google My Business offers multiple features that can help your building reach more prospective residents. In many ways, it will represent your property and business just as much as your website does.
To maximize the number of leads your profile generates, try out the tips below.
To make the most out of Google My Business, you should:
1. Publish GMB posts
Similar to Facebook and other social media sites, you can make posts directly to your Google My Business page. Publishing GMB posts can bolster your SEO. But the biggest benefit is that it allows you to show off your property and attract new residents.
GMB posts appear in the side panel underneath your business’s contact information on the Google search results page.
When publishing GMB posts, consider topics like:
- Unique amenities your building has, such as pools, gyms, and outdoor space.
- Restaurants, parks, movie theaters, and other attractions near your building.
- Apartment-specific features such as hardwood floors and smart technology.
- Community events at your building.
Additionally, make sure you include calls to action (CTAs) that link readers to pages like your website, an apartment application form, a tour booking platform, or an email list sign-up.
2. Add video content
When using Google My Business for apartments, make sure that your business profile includes more than just pictures. Uploading video content like a virtual tour will help your profile stand out. You can also include a virtual tour of your building’s amenities, such as a pool or gym.
Remember: Just because your website is available and has tons of content doesn’t mean users will click on it. There’s a good chance prospects will see your Google Business Profile before anything else. So, make sure your best visual content is front and center.
3. Engage with residents
Former and current residents can leave reviews and ask questions on your Google Business Profile. So, one of the benefits of using Google My Business for apartment buildings is that you can directly engage with residents.
You can respond to all Google My Business reviews and answer any questions users ask. Reviews have been proven to influence someone’s decisions over whether they engage with a business. So by responding to reviews and interacting with residents, you’ll come off as an appealing and proactive property manager.
- To enjoy the benefits of Google My Business for your apartment, you must create a Google Business Profile. Once you’re verified as the property manager or owner, you can create your Google My Business profile.
- Google My Business can help increase your website’s ranking in Google searches. It can also help prospects easily discover your building and locate your contact information quickly.
- GMB is a great way to engage with residents, attract new residents, and show off your property’s special features.