Finding safe and secure ways to secure keys can be tricky, especially for busy property managers. However, a portable key lock box can help manage access for prospective and current tenants and offer various benefits for busy property managers. One key lock box you’ve probably heard of is the Master Lock 5400D Portable Lock Box.
The 5400D Portable Lock Box by Master Lock is designed to store and manage keys and be a secure option for property managers. In this post, we’ll take a look at this Master Lock key lock box, including its features, pricing, and a more robust alternative.
This post covers the following:
- About Master Lock
- About 5400D Portable Lock Box
- Alternatives to Master Lock 5400D
- Comparison of Master Lock 5400D Portable Lock Box to ButterflyMX key locker
About Master Lock
Master Lock is one of the leading companies for padlocks and security systems in the United States. Since its inception in 1921, Master Lock has established itself as a go-to resource for physical security.
Master Lock produces products designed to be solutions for security challenges that range from simple to complex.
Further, Master Lock offers multiple property access solution options, including:
- Permanent lock installation
- Portable lock boxes
- Key safes
About 5400D Portable Lock Box
The 5400D Portable Lock Box is part of Master Lock’s range of solutions for easy access and portability. The Master Lock key lock box is a no-frills basic key safe with a set-your-own combination lock. It can be used to store keys for easy retrieval by trusted guests, maintenance workers, and service providers.
The Master Lock 5400D Portable Lock Box can be installed on any kind of door knob or security gate, so there are no installation issues or worries. Users simply lock and unlock as needed and set a combination for optimal security without worrying about managing keys that are given out.
- Easy, portable design for simple installation.
- Over-the-door design to hang on doorknobs, gates, or other metal structures in front of your property.
- Users can set and change their combinations at will.
- Protective weather cover prevents jamming and protects against adverse weather conditions.
- Personalized laser engraving is available to differentiate multiple lock boxes.
- Vinyl coating provides scratch protection.
Master Lock 5400D pricing
The Master Lock 5400D key safe model is currently available for $60-$65 on the Master Lock website.
You can also find Master Lock portable lock box solutions available online and in most home improvement stores.
Pros & cons
- Portable design that can be used in various places across many types of properties.
- Users can set their combinations, empowering them to take control of their access experience.
- The key safe device doesn’t require internet or Bluetooth, making it easy to set up and maintain.
- Functional, no-frills, basic portable lockbox.
- While functional, the basic lockbox design offers no advanced capabilities.
- Reviewers note that the box is not always quick and easy to unlock.
- Like all key lock boxes, the Master Lock 5400D is easy to open and break.
- Combinations can be hard to keep track of.
- Multiple key lock boxes in front of your property create an eye sore.
Alternatives to Master Lock 5400D
Master Lock portable lock boxes are a robust solution for managing property access. However, there are plenty of other products that should be considered.
Many modern key lock boxes offer Bluetooth capabilities or camouflaged designs to prevent theft. A few alternatives to the Master Lock key lock box to consider include the Kidde AccessPoint KeySafe or the Kingsley Guard key lock box. You may also opt for a DIY solution like the Pangaea Key Hider Fake Rock.
Alternatives to portable lock boxes as a whole include property access solutions such as key lockers. Key lockers offer a safer and more secure way of managing keys, making them a convenient key storage solution with many benefits.
Comparison of Master Lock 5400D Portable Lock Box to ButterflyMX key locker
The Master Lock portable lock box may be a good choice if you want a simple, easy, no-frills key lock box solution for property access management. However, the Master Lock key safe does not include sophisticated capabilities or features.
Conversely, the ButterflyMX key locker is designed for maximum convenience and simplicity. The ButterflyMX key locker includes advanced features that make it a safe key storage and retrieval option for property managers and tenants alike. In addition, the ButterflyMX key locker has multiple compartments for key storage. Further, each compartment has a personalized access code for easy visitor management.
Discover how to assign a ButterflyMX key locker compartment:
Master Lock 5400D Portable Lock Box vs. ButterflyMX key locker
The Master Lock 5400D Portable Lock Box is a very basic key management solution. However, it doesn’t have a lot of advanced functionalities. The ButterflyMX key locker, on the other hand, is a versatile, safe, and secure key management and storage solution.
|Feature||ButterflyMX key locker||Master Lock 5400D Portable Lock Box|
|Multiple key storage and retrieval||Yes||No|
|Multiple access code setting||Yes||No|
|Virtual keys for residents and prospective tenants||Yes||No|
|Combination codes for access||Yes||Yes|
Disclaimer: ButterflyMX provides these blog posts to help our customers and potential customers make the right business decisions for them. Our blog posts are based on the information we have available to us at the time of writing.