Chances are you have to store and manage physical keys at your multifamily or commercial building. One option to do so is a smart key lock box, which is a type of key management system that empowers users to retrieve a key from the box with their smartphones.
Read on to learn what smart key lock boxes are and how they work. Then, discover our picks for the five best smart key lock boxes.
In this post, we cover:
- What is a smart lock box?
- How do remote lock boxes work?
- Are key lock boxes secure?
- 5 best smart key lock boxes
- A smarter alternative to smart key lock boxes
What is a smart lock box?
A smart key lock box is a lock box that doesn’t require a physical key or combination code to open it. Instead, it allows you to use your smartphone to access the keys inside of it.
Additionally, some smart lock boxes include a keypad in case a resident or staff member’s smartphone dies. With this in mind, smart key lock boxes serve as a convenient key management system for multifamily and commercial properties.
Alternatives to smart key lock boxes:
- Key cabinet. Key cabinets feature a large compartment for storing several keys. As a result, this makes them ideal for large multifamily buildings due to their large storage capacity.
- Key safe. Key safes can store a large number of keys, but they’re more vulnerable to being stolen since they can be physically removed from a building if they aren’t mounted to a surface or wall.
- Key locker. A key locker is a storage solution that features multiple compartments in which you can place individual keys. As a result, key lockers are ideal for preventing people from accessing the wrong keys.
- Traditional lock box. A smart key lock box differs from conventional lock boxes that require a physical key or combination code to unlock. So, traditional lock boxes are less convenient and less secure since they’re more susceptible to being picked or tampered with.
How do remote lock boxes work?
An app-controlled lock box pairs with a mobile app that allows you to use your smartphone to unlock the box.
Here are a few benefits and drawbacks of smart key lock boxes:
Pros of smart key lock boxes:
- Saves time. Residents and staff won’t have to waste time fumbling with physical keys or having to remember a PIN code. Monitor access. Some smart key lock boxes pair with a mobile app that allows you to monitor who’s unlocking the box and when.
- Grant access remotely. A smart key lock box with access control allows you to grant access from anywhere in the world using a mobile app.
- Easy to install. Smart key lock boxes can be shackled to a doorknob or mounted to a wall. Secure. A remote key lock box is made of durable, tamper-resistant materials that are difficult to break into.
Cons of smart key lock boxes:
- May stop working. A WiFi lock box for keys may stop working if the internet goes out.
- More expensive. Smart key lock boxes cost more than traditional lock boxes.
- Can be broken into. Smart key lock boxes that are located outdoors or on exterior walls are more vulnerable to being tampered with.
- Can lose access. If you lose your smartphone or it dies, there’s no way for you to unlock the box unless it has a backup access method like a keypad.
Are key lock boxes secure?
Smart key lock boxes are made of durable, tamper-resistant materials like zinc or steel alloys. Because smart lock boxes offer a more secure key-tracking solution for physical keys and access cards, they can be used in a variety of ways at your building.
Use cases for smart key lock boxes:
- Enable self-guided tours. Allow prospective residents to access keys to vacant units using a unique one-time code.
- Seamless visitor management. Store keys for visitors or grant them access to units and shared amenity spaces with a single-use code.
- Store shared keys or key cards. With a smart key lock box, staff members can access shared keys, or store keys to shared amenity spaces for guests. So, it’s a convenient solution for key storage.
- Easier access for service providers. Allows service providers like dog walkers and professional cleaners to access units.
Watch how to enable self-guided tours with ButterflyMX:
5 best smart key lock boxes
Smart key lock boxes are a convenient way to store, track, and manage keys at your building. With so many choices to choose from, there are plenty of options on the market that are sure to suit your building’s specific needs.
Here’s our round-up of the 5 best smart key lock boxes:
- Populife Bluetooth smart key lock box
- Lubn LTE smart camera key lock box
- Igloohome smart key box
- Master Lock 5440D key lock box
- Kkmoon smart key lock box
1. Populife Bluetooth smart key lock box
Google rating: 4/5
- Allows you to control access remotely and grant access from anywhere.
- Share PIN codes and digital keys with visitors and service providers.
- IP65-rated and waterproof.
- Fits most doorknobs.
- Consumes less power.
- Pricey at $129.00.
2. LUBN LTE smart camera key lock box
Google rating: 4.5/5
- Creates unique digital access codes for visitors.
- Easy to install.
- Takes visitor photos and notifies you when a guest checks in.
- Pricey at $249.95
- Only stores up to 5 keys.
3. Igloohome smart key box
Google rating: 4.5/5
- Large storage capacity.
- Allows you to send PIN codes to guests and visitors.
- Pocket design prevents keys from falling out of it once opened.
- Easy to shackle on a doorknob or mount on a wall.
- IP66 certified weather-resistant.
- Multiple ways to unlock via app or PIN code.
- Pricey at $189.99
4. Master Lock 5440D key lock box
Google rating: 4/5
- Manage access with your smartphone.
- Offers temporary and permanent codes.
- Large storage capacity that can hold several keys/keycards.
- Long battery life.
- Expensive at $168.43.
- Prone to shackle issues and can be difficult to open.
- Not ideal for colder climates.
5. Kkmoon smart key lock box
Google rating: 5/5
- Affordable at $68.90.
- Offers fingerprint unlocking.
- Only suitable for indoor use.
- Not waterproof.
- Small storage capacity that can only hold a couple of keys.
A smarter alternative to smart key lock boxes
While smart key lock boxes may suffice for small apartments and businesses, a holistic key management solution is more efficient and secure.
ButterflyMX’s key locker is a robust key management solution that safely stores keys in individual, locked compartments. Users can retrieve a key with a QR code, PIN code, or even using the ButterflyMX mobile app.
What’s more, administrators can monitor usage, so they stay in the know of who’s accessing keys and when.
- Smart key lock boxes are a smartphone-based key management solution for multifamily and commercial buildings.
- A smart key lock box allows you to use your smartphone to unlock the box and retrieve a key.
- The best smart key lock boxes are weather-resistant, generate unique PIN codes, and are easy to install.
- ButterflyMX’s key locker is a holistic alternative that allows you to enable self-guided tours, streamline visitor management, grant access to service providers, and more!